Friday, August 17, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23 The End (Thank Goodness)

This exercise of 23 Things has been challenging, time-consuming, occasionally rewarding and more often frustrating. There were some activities that I found potentially useful, namely: LibraryThing, Rollyo, wikis, Project Gutenberg, and GoogleDocs. Some of the activities were fun, such as Fickr, Meez, and YouTube, though I doubt I will navigate to them on my own again. It was definitely an experience to learn the concepts of blogging, Web 2.0, Library 2.0, and tagging.
One flaw with this program was that it never developed into the cooperative learning exercise it was meant to be. Rather, it quickly became a solo effort due to time constraints (short periods of off-desk time that did not lend themselves to concentration) and lack of a work area conducive to doing this long-range project (no door to close, no desk to sit at, no personal computer).
It was through the patience, diligence, and technological knowledge of my nephew that I was able to complete this exercise. It was a true lesson in family sticking together. I can truly say I learned a lot because of his efforts.
I do see the need for libraries to move forward as technology moves forward. I will definitely be open to learning new advances, but I will not be a pioneer of them. Computers still scare me! I really am Corky's pal, and I truly believe in lifelong learning, but I feel more comfortable in the penguin suit.

1 comment:

Gail Griffith said...

Congratulations on completing all 23 Things!